5.18.2006

Skin and Bones


So, I was listening on the radio the other day and they were talking about some scientific study (and by scientific study, I mean pretend survey that they made up five minutes ago to have something to talk about on the air) regarding people's views of the importance of being thin. It focused on what people would do if they could be thin for the rest of their lives.

50% of people said they would give a year of their life if they could be thin for the remainder of it.

33% of people said they would give a limb to be skinny.

10% of people said they would give up their sight in order to not have to fight the battle of the bulge for the remainder of their years.

Now, I admit that I am an American woman who feels like I should lose about fifteen to twenty pounds. I also admit that I would much rather do ten million other things instead of getting my ass to the gym. But, would I be willing to give up a year of my life, my left arm, or my sight in order to fit the (unrealistic) standard of beauty?

Thanks, no.

Now, excuse me, but I think I just heard the pizza delivery guy pull up.

3 comments:

Diana said...

I don't think I'd give up those things either. (Although, some people who are very, very much overweight are probably giving up a year of their life anyway.)

Violet said...

diana - good point...

V said...

Yeah I was gonna say I might give up a year of my life but no way a limb or my sight. I'd probably get back 10 just from being skinny, so overall I'd still be getting more time. :)