4.07.2007

Saturday Morning Skeptic... and Stuff

I admit it: I read junk mail. I look through the catalogs and coupons that are sent in the mail on a daily basis. Occasionally, one will stand out to me, and I'll pull it out thinking, "Ooohh, I could use this." However, I never end up using them and they all end up in the trash eventually.

This morning, I was looking through these little cards, each with an offer, when I came across this one:


"Everyone deserves a smile they can be proud of!" it touts, above a before and after picture of somebody with really nasty teeth, apparently fixed by the the teeth straightening and whitening process advertised on the back of the card.

Maybe it is just me, but somehow I don't think that the "before" teeth were simply straightened and whitened in order to get the "after" teeth. If it is the same person (which the appearance of similar facial hair seems to indicate) there was other major dental work performed in order to reach point A to point B. I have a feeling that it isn't even the same person in both photos, though.

But, I may just be too much of a skeptic.

**********

Several of you requested information about the Citrus Shrimp and Penne Pasta meal that I cooked last week. After seeing that post, Blogarita was so impressed with my culinary skills, that she asked me to be an author on her kitchen blog! I made my first post over there yesterday, so if you are interested in it (or other delicious recipes that Blogarita posts) click on over and check it out.

**********

Speaking of other blogs, I have posted the discussion questions for "Fall On Your Knees" by Ann-Marie MacDonald on the Check This Out book club blog. Those of you who read it along with us and those of you who've read it before, please go on over and add your two cents to the conversation.

Our next book that we'll be reading is "Running with Scissors" by Augusten Burroughs. It was recently made into a movie with Alec Baldwin and Annette Benning. I've already started reading it and it is a pretty quick read, so please join our discussion at our book club. The more, the merrier!

(After this book, we'll be choosing something lighter, from a chick lit line, per the request of Paula and Jen, so stay tuned!)

4 comments:

Blogarita said...

I think they must have given that person crowns or veneers or whatever the heck they're called. I'm all for nice straight, white teeth, but now everyone seems to want a smile that's unnaturally bright and straight. They look like dentures to me, sometimes.

rosemary said...

I think that is the Grinch in his off time and someone else after....I can't believe that someone with that much moss on their teeth would actually still have them in their head!! Cook ON!

V said...

I do the same thing. I always save the Clipper magazine for this or that coupon, then instead of putting it into the car like I should, it's at the house when I need it, so I just end up recycling it. I do this over and over and over. It's ridiculous.

Jen said...

I think maybe that guy could've used a toothbrush and toothpaste in his Easter Basket....UGH!!!!