6.12.2007

Exciting News...

....and of course, by exciting, I mean the news isn't exciting at all. As a matter of fact, I don't even really have any news to share. I just put that posting title up there to try to convince you (and my ego) that my life isn't as boring as this post is going to make it seem.

*********

Summer ends up being the time for me to catch up on all the chores that have gone undone throughout the rest of the year. The first project that I tackled last week was to clean out and reorganize the laundry room:





Our laundry room ends up being the "catch-all" for stuff that we aren't quite sure where it should go. Or, if it is too cold to bring something out into the garage, it ends up in there.

Just so you know, although the cabinets are closed in the "after" picture, they are clean. Practically bare. But, the difference looks more dramatic between the two pictures with them closed.

I think I feel pretty successful about the whole thing.

**********

Today's project is that I have to go to my mom's house and go through all the stuff that I've collected there throughout the years and decide what is worth keeping and what I need to throw away. Mom is putting the house where I grew up on the market and she needs all extraneous materials out. I chose today to do this project since Mom is out of town and she won't be there to harass me about what I'm keeping and what I'm not.

Honestly, though, I'm a little bit resentful of the fact that I have to do this chore at all. I feel... strange... that the house that I've lived in since I was five years old is no longer going to be the house that we go to for family dinners and holidays.

Am I crazy to feel this way? I feel sad and somewhat angry and... I don't know. Just pissy in general about the whole thing. Do your parents still live in the house you grew up in? Did you feel the same way when they sold it?

I guess I'm just not really a fan of change.

**********

So, I guess that's all I got. The next post will be more exciting. And, I promise not to post pictures about cleaning out my mom's basement, all right? I was just pleased with the whole laundry room thing, so lay off, okay?

9 comments:

Blogarita said...

Word verification: gfuku

Please don't take that personally. It was just funnier than any comment I could come up with.

Tug said...

Isn't it a great feeling to have "order"? Very nice.

My parents moved after we all left home & sold the house, which is fine - I hate where I grew up & hope to NEVER go back. Although I really don't have a "home" now...but it's OK. I'm kind of a nomadic soul anyway.

Chris Johnson said...

YAAAA! The laundry room looks great!

Fantastagirl said...

I was very angry when my parents moved, and moved to about 2 hours away from our "hometown". As an adult, I understood the 'why's' and "how come's" but I still hate that I don't have a "home" anymore.

So yeah, I get it.

Diana said...

My Parents sold the house I grew up in as well. That was the house that they brought me home from the hospital to. That was also the same house that I brought Amanda home from the hospital to. (She even had the same room I did when I was a baby and took her 1st bath in the same kitchen sink...) I was a little disappointed and miss the house a lot, but it's been 12 years now since they moved, so it's easier now. Just hang on to the memories....nothing can change that. :o)

Dave Morris said...

When my grandparents moved from the house I basically grew up in, I actually lived on the east coast and didn't BELIEVE them. I thought they were pulling an elaborate hoax on me - why would they ever give up that huge house with a pool and big yard???

So after the date when they said they were moving, I kept calling their old phone number. Sure enough someone else answered, so I knew they weren't joking. (I also got a whippin' for making the long-distance call to Kansas City)

When I visited the house years later, (I actually went up to the door, told them I grew up there and asked if I could just look around a little - they were delighted and said yes) the place seemed so tiny. As a kid, your perspective is so much different. Now, the rooms are little bitty, the pool is smaller than I remember and oddly enough, according to Google satellite photos, is the only house in the old neighborhood left standing... they built new subdivisions all around it.

You can't go back. It's really sad. I know how you're feeling. I guess to make ourselves feel better, we should...

GO TO MEXICO IN SIX DAYS!!!! :)

Dave Morris said...

PS - the laundry room looks great! Thanks for cleaning it up and making it shine... it just took the female touch.

Blogarita said...

I lived in the house where my parents live now from the time I was 10 until I was 19. That's the longest I've ever lived in one house but I don't have any real attachment to it. It would be fine with me if they sold it.

I have a niece, on the other hand, who felt the same way you're feeling now when my sis and bil sold their house a few years ago. She still isn't over it.

V said...

I would be ashamed to post any pictures of any part of my house right now, so bravo!

And I completely agree with you on losing your childhood home. That happened to me about six months ago, and it was amazing how much it hurt, even though all in all it was a crappy little house. It's been all remodeled and changed now and I can't even drive by there, and I don't know that I ever will.