12.16.2012

Sandy Hook

My heart is broken.

As I left the teacher's lounge late Friday morning, I had my Weight Watchers' microwave meal balanced precariously on a stack of papers from my mailbox.  The plastic container was too hot for me to hold.  The principal walked past me, her eyes clearly reddened from recent tears.  I paused, wondering if I should ask if everything is okay, but didn't want to pry in case it was something personal.  A few steps past me, she turned and asked me if I'd heard the news about the school shooting.

Sherri filled me in with what she knew - a shooter had killed children and teachers at a school in Newtown, Connecticut.  There were at least seventeen kids dead.  An elementary school.  The noise from the chatter of the teachers in the lounge faded as my stomach filled with grief.

"I'm not going to tell the teachers right now," Sherri said.  I nodded, numbly, and began to walk back to my office.  When I got there, I logged onto a news site and watched the coverage, taking slow bites of the tasteless food.  The only urge I had was to go and pick up my kids and hold them close.

This one hits so close to home.  I work at an elementary school.  My children are almost school age.  We have the same safety precautions at our school that Sandy Hook has.  I just can't wrap my head around it.

I seem to have become slightly obsessive about it.  I've been reading news article after news article.  I imagine what those last moments must have been like for those children.  I imagine if I were a teacher there or if I were in the office when the shooter got in or if I were the parent of one of the children that died or if I just lived in the community or....  My mind reels at the ripple effect that this type of thing has.

I have to go back to work tomorrow.  As the counselor, I am the one who is supposed to know what to say and how to deal with these types of things.  I'll be the one to talk to the kids who are scared or help the teachers know what to say...  I guess that as we all are falling apart individually, we'll try to hold each other together and hopefully manage some type of normalcy.

My head realizes that the chances of something like this occurring are more rare than the chance that I'll win the lottery.  My heart says that even that remote chance is way too high.

14 comments:

urdu master said...

Very Nice Blog.....

arslan mirza said...

I Like Your Blog....

Olujide Festus said...

Nice contents

قمم التميز said...

شركة عزل اسطح بالاحساء
شركة صيانة منازل بالدمام و الخبر
شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالاحساء
شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالدمام
شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالخبر
شركة مكافحة حشرات بالدمام
شركة مكافحة حشرات بالخبر
شركة تنظيف بالدمام
شركة تنظيف بالخبر
شركة تنظيف منازل بالدمام
شركة تنظيف منازل بالخبر
شركة تنظيف بيوت بالدمام
شركة تنظيف بيوت بالخبر
شركة تنظيف فلل بالدمام
شركة تنظيف فلل بالخبر
شركة تنظيف شقق بالدمام
شركة تنظيف شقق بالخبر
شركة تنظيف خزانات بالدمام
شركة تنظيف خزانات بالخبر

ammar said...

شركة تنظيف بالجبيل
شركة تنظيف بالخبر
شركة تنظيف بالقطيف
شركة تنظيف بالاحساء
شركة تنظيف بخميس مشيط
شركة تنظيف بابها
شركة تنظيف بالهفوف
شركة تنظيف بحفر الباطن
شركة تنظيف بالظهران
شركة تنظيف براس تنورة
شركة تنظيف في الدمام
شركة شفط الصرف الصحى
شركة تنظيف خزانات المياه بالدمام
شركة تنظيف في الدمام
شركة تنظيف مجالس بالدمام
شركة مكافحة الفئران بالدمام
شركة مكافحة بق الفراش بالدمام
شركة مكافحة حشرات بالدمام
شركة تنظيف بالاحساء
شركة نقل عفش بالدمام والاحساء
شركة تنظيف بالخبر
شركة مكافحة حشرات بالخبر
شركة نقل اثاث بالخبر
شركة تنظيف بالجبيل
شركة تنظيف براس تنورة
شركة تنظيف بالقطيف
شركة تنظيف بالقطيف
شركة تنظيف بسيهات
شركة تنظيف بالظهران
شركة تنظيف بالهفوف
شركة مكافحة حشرات بالاحساء
شركة مكافحة حشرات بالجبيل
شركة مكافحة حشرات براس تنورة
شركة مكافحة حشرات بالقطيف
شركة تنظيف مساجد بالدمام
شركة تنظيف بالدمام
شركة تنظيف شقق بالدمام
شركة تنظيف بالدمام
شركة تنظيف شقق بالدمام
شركة تنظيف فلل بالدمام
شركة تنظيف بخميس مشيط
شركة مكافحة حشرات بخميس مشيط
شركة تسليك مجارى بخميس مشيط
شركة كشف تسربات المياه بخميس مشيط
شركة نقل اثاث بخميس مشيط
شركة تنظيف بابها
.............

Hữu Tú Trương said...

Nice blog !!!
thanks for sharing
Thiet ke nha dep
biet thu dep
Nha pho dep
thiet ke noi that chung cu

شركة ركن الهدى said...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL7R77DyCx8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As4cEEdINDs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTwnyt05neQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H23u2fZj-M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZUGVpYMnJw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HphP6PzsPls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66RcrW8nwvE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-PZx2CnEiY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ9zvRQZ92A

محمد عجاج said...


شركة تنظيف بالدمام
شركة تنظيف شقق بالدمام
شركة تنظيف منازل بالدمام
شركة تنظيف فلل بالدمام

شركة شفط بيارات بالدمام
شركة تنظيف مسابح بالدمام
شركة تنظيف واجهات بالدمام
شركة جلى بلاط ورخام بالدمام
شركة مكافحة الحمام بالدمام
شركة رش مبيد بالدمام

hitaakademi said...

Ankara merkezli sanal gerçeklik oyun merkezi kurulum hizmetleri
VR CAFE Türkiye'de hizmet ve faaliyetlerini sürdürmektedir.

hitaakademi said...


Ankara'da profesyonel ağda hizmeti
ankara erkek agda hizmette
sinir tanimiyor...

hitaakademi said...

Ankara merkezli sıramatik sistemleri kurulum ve teknik destek hizmetleri
siramatik Türkiye'de hizmet ve faaliyetlerini sürdürmektedir.

Phu Dang said...

Nice blog !!!
thanks for sharing
sofa
sofa hcm
sofa đẹp

KF white said...

Nice blog !!!
thanks for sharing
kết cấu thép xây dựng
kết cấu thép 1
kết cấu thép 2
thi công nhà kết cấu thép
thiết kế nhà kết cấu thép
nhà kết cấu thép đẹp
nhà kết cấu thép giá rẻ
nhà kết cấu thép 2 tầng
nhà kết cấu thép cao tầng
nhà kết cấu thép
kết cấu thép

KF white said...

Nice blog !!!
thanks for sharing
xây dựng nhà xưởng
xây dựng nhà xưởng uy tín
xây dựng nhà xưởng chuyên nghiệp
xây dựng nhà xưởng giá rẻ
công ty xây dựng nhà xưởng giá rẻ
công ty xây dựng nhà xưởng
xây nhà xưởng
xây nhà xưởng đẹp