6.13.2008

An Unexpected Snack

As I unloaded the groceries the other day, I came upon an item that was individually wrapped in a small plastic grocery bag. I racked my brain, trying to determine what it is that I had bought that would warrant its own individual bag...

"Nothing breakable," I thought. "Nothing leaky, sticky, or poisonous."

I opened the bag to find a small cardboard tray from the meat section of the store carrying some type of fried food. This was definitely something that got put into my cart by mistake. Carefully, I turned over the item to see the UPC code sticker on the bottom:

FRIED CHICKEN GIZZARDS

Bonus! The checker must've forgotten to put these tasty morsels in the cart of the person who checked out before me (who bore an uncanny resemblance to Methuselah) and then put it into my bags instead. They were even still warm from the heat lamp they'd most likely been sitting under for approximately 5 to 7 days! Luckeeee...

I wasn't going to drive back to the store for $1.50-worth of chicken innards, so I asked Dave if he wanted one. He looked at them, considering, and tentatively tried to take a bite of one of the fried rubber pucks. He gave up and put it back in the tray.

I went ahead and promptly brought them out into the garage and threw them in the trash.

5 comments:

Blogarita said...

I'd pass on the gizzards, too. But chicken livers? Those I would have eaten. But no more than three days old.

Sarah@sweetpeaandjojo.blogspot.com said...

Next time bring them over here. Paul really likes gizzards! THey are too rubbery for me!

Amandarama said...

Wow. Yeah, I would have tossed them too. One time I got a loaf of white bread and bagels that belonged to someone else in my grocery bag. I think they're still in my chest freezer.

V said...

My mom loved fried chicken livers (not sure about gizzards). As for me, I'll never know.

rosemary said...

Steve loves gizzards and livers...not fried tho....I clean them really, really well, put them in the crock pot with chicken broth, garlic, butter and salt and he eats them over rice. Not my idea of a chicken part to eat.